Tuesday, July 3, 2012

There's an App for That!

Wow!  This was probably the best session I attended at ALA.  And that's saying a lot because I attended many wonderful sessions.  However, part of the reason I was so gung-ho to go to ALA was to learn more about changing technology (since I didn't get my first email address until I was in college...no judging you hip Washington students!) and how to use technology with the kiddos.

Presented by librarians from the Darien Library (CT), Manchester City Library (NH), Wayland Union Schools (MI), and Brook Forest Elementary School (IL), this session was simply packed with ideas for using apps, apps to use, logistics of apps, and was entertaining to boot!  Great job guys! 

The slides from the presentation are posted here and here and more information is posted here.

Lots of ideas for the iPad and using them in your children programs. Here are some thoughts from my notes:
They listed lots of different apps on their slides, but since I linked to them above, I'm not going to talk about there here.  But I will talk about program ideas and how to use them in programs.  One thought is to have a technology class or club.  One of the libraries had a program called "Little Clickers."  Isn't that cute!  But, in today's touchscreen age, should it be called "Little Tappers?"  But then all we'd get would be a bunch of crazy tap-dancing kids, which would actually be okay with me. 

Kids like to play, so just giving them an opportunity to play with a few iPads or other tablets could make for a good element to a program.  You can let them experiment with making digital content (pictures...little cartoons or videos), you can sneak in library lessons (let's use the iPads today to look at the eSebco books!)...for Story Time you can have it linked up to your projector so everyone can see, or you can go around and let the kids take turns poking or tapping.

So, what makes a good app?  Well, they covered that too.  They should have NO ADS.  They should never, or hardly ever fail or not work.  They should have outstanding graphics, enhance your program rather than distract from it, and have lots to interact with. 

How to purchase all those apps?  Try using a giftcard and do it that way...then you don't have to worry about all those little charges on your personal credit card (or the library's if you are lucky like me).  You can sync many iPads together through iCloud...they recommend putting a passcode on your iPads...Apple TV is something to look into...

How do you find new apps?
Also, here's a hint when purchasing...be sure to buy the iPad version and not the iPod! 

Other programming ideas (and this would be great for Homeschool Group)...you could do a class on how to use an iPad...on cleaning, turning it on, etc.  Also, a unit on Storybook apps, digital storytelling, how to make stuff, or you could focus simply on photography or poetry! 

One last thought, I for one LOVE apps and technology.  I think we are going to have to keep embracing content and information as it grows and changes so that we don't  but we have to do it carefully and mindfully.  I for one am not for exposing children ages 2 and under to screens.  The American Academy of Pediatrics says it's not a good thing and I believe them.  My sister is a pediatrician, so they have a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment